On the completion of this course, student should have;
1. acquired the necessary knoeledge and apply it to effective graphic illustrations
2. optimum skills in drawing and illustration that are necessary for good graphic illustration
3. the critical appriciation of own and graphic works of others
4. effectively use of composition startegies to create illustration projects through desktop-publishing.
1. types of illustrations
2. history and influence of illustration on commercial products and fine arts.
3. Drawing skills in illustration
4. composition in illustration (color and surface rendering)
5. computer type setting with illustration
6. developmental project in graphic paint and graphic software, 2D or 3D modelling software.
Method of Instruction
It is recomended that the lecture will employ more individual guidance, demonstration and a very little of lecture method.
1. Drawing portfolio (progressive) 40%
2. Papers (2)
3. Participation in critic session 10%
4. Final coursework
Jenning. S (1999). Illustration and Design. NY: Quarto Book.
Wilde, Richard. (1986) Problems and solutions: Visual Thinking For Graphic Communicators. NY : VNRC
Tentative schedule of activities:
- Explanation of the course
- History of illustration
- Influence of illustration to the society
Introduction to the software that can be use to manipulate visuals, ie Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator/Macromedia
Freehand, Paint etc.
- Some thought of using photograph
- Photograph and printing process
- Finding Photographs For Illustration
-use clipart book
-buy from stock photo agencies
- Overused symbols
- Finding illustrations for publication
(Briefing on First Project: Produce drawing manually using diffrent materials, ie; crayon, oil paint, pastel,
watercolor, etc. To identify the strength of each individual to which material they are expert in. Draw a fish
that we have naver seen before. Pick one fish sample and illustrate them. Consult with lecturer.
Working with colour
Color and the printed page
-Psychology of Color
-Color and emotion - red. green etc...
Submission of the 1st project.
- vocabulary of color - hue, value, saturation
-perception of colors
-color and your printed piece - one color, spot color, multi colors
Class Exercise: Revision on Computer Topics.
(Briefing on the 2nd project: Draw yourself by looking down your body. Either standing or sitting. Remember
to be conscious of foreshortening. Draw what you see, not you know to be. Applied to Adobe Photoshop. manipulate
the image with any oter image. Need to consult with the lecturer.
Progress of Work
Submission of the 2nd project
Briefing on the 3rd project: Find some articles that do not have any illustrations. What illustrations would
you use to enhance these pages visually? Consult with lecturer for approval.
Submission of the 3rd project.
Presentation of the whole project.